Energy saving support around the home

If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to be greener and more sustainable, a good place to start is looking at the ways you might be able to make your home more energy efficient.

There’s a range of tips and advice available on how to reduce your energy bills, and we’ve summarised some options for you below:

  • Simple Energy Advice – a government funded website providing impartial energy efficiency advice including simple low-cost savings and an energy efficiency calculator
  • Citizens Advice Bureau – a national charity offering confidential advice on paying energy bills, switching energy suppliers and energy meters
  • National Energy Action – a national charity working to ensure that everyone has a warm, safe home. Call the freephone energy advice line: 0800 304 7159 or visit the website
  • Centre for Sustainable Energy – a national charity working to reduce carbon emissions and fuel poverty.

We’re continuing to invest in our homes to make them more energy efficient. This includes making sure all our homes have a minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of ‘C’ or above by 2025, five years ahead of the government’s target.

If you’re worried about rising energy bills, you might also be able to get some help to cover your costs. Get in touch with us on 0333 400 8222 to talk to our financial wellbeing team, or have a look at the support available through these schemes:

  • Winter Fuel Payments - if you were born on or before 26 September 1955, you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills
  • Warm Home Discount – if you’re on a low income or receiving certain means-tested benefits, you could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022, under the Warm Home Discount scheme. Check with your energy supplier as early as possible to see if you’re eligible and how to apply
  • Cold Weather Payments - you may get Cold Weather Payments if you receive one of the following: Pension Credit; Income Support; Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income-related Employment and Support Allowance; or Universal Credit. You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days. You’ll get £25 for each seven-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.
Back to latest news listings