What to do if you are struggling to pay

If you are struggling to pay your rent, service charges or major works costs please contact your home ownership officer as soon as possible. We treat all enquiries with complete confidence, can offer support and direct you to other agencies who may be able to help. If you have a change in circumstances that is going to impact on your finances it is important you let us know so we can discuss how we can help. Often we can work with you to overcome financial difficulties before they get out of control.

We may be able to come to an agreement for you to pay any outstanding amount over a set period of time. We may also be able to help you find out about any benefits you are entitled to. For example if you are a shared owner you may be entitled to Housing Benefit to help with your rent.

You should also speak to your mortgage provider as they might be able to help by offering a payment break or allow you to change to interest only payments for a set amount of time.

In severe cases it’s important to seek independent advice.

Useful organisations

Citizens Advice

Your local citizens advice bureau is a good place to find free advice on legal, money and other problems. There will probably be a branch near you


Money Advice Plus

An independent, free and confidential money advice service.

Money Advice Plus Services, 2nd Floor, 82-184 Terminus Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 3BB

0132 363 5989

National Debtline

Offers free, confidential and independent help over the phone.

National Debtline, Tricorn House, 52-53 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8TP

0808 808 4000

Community Legal Advice

Offers free, confidential help with debt, welfare benefits, tax credits, housing, education and employment problems.

0845 345 4345

Carrying out improvements and alterations

View more
What to do if you are struggling to pay

View more
PDF version

Download all of this leaseholder information

Fire safety

Fires in the home kill hundreds of people in the UK every year. Small fires are more common, but they can still cause serious injuries and damage homes and possessions.

View more