Housing benefit is payable by local councils to people on low incomes to help them pay their rent and is usually paid by them to the landlord.

It’s your responsibility to claim housing benefit and to provide any evidence needed in order to pay your claim if you can’t afford to pay your rent yourself.

Local authorities usually pay housing benefit 4 weeks in arrears. To find out if you're entitled to housing benefit, please visit the Direct.gov website or contact the housing benefit department at your local authority.

Other benefits you may be able to claim are usually paid by the Department for Work and Pensions


We accept payment for support charges from the administrating body of Supporting People.