Heat your home safely

As a result of the increase in energy bills since last winter, our engineers have seen more customers using indoor portable propane gas heaters and camping gas heaters to help them keep warm.

We would strongly urge you not to use these types of heaters. They are extremely dangerous and not safe to be left unattended or operating overnight.

If you do ever use these forms of heating, please keep all heaters away from flammable materials and out of reach from children. Please also check your smoke alarms regularly.

These forms of heating use air in the home, so please make sure your property is well ventilated and the right size for the heater you are using.  You also need to make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm in the room where the heater is being used.         

If you have any concerns about paying for your energy bills, please speak to our team on 0333 400 8222 or visit our dedicated cost of living page for a host of advice about the support available from the Financial Wellbeing team. On this page we've also shared a host of advice from local services that can support you.

Back to latest news listings