Enjoying the festive period
It's nearly that time of year again, with many people starting to put up their decorations. Here’s some tips to enjoy the festive period in your home:
- Check your Christmas lights are in good condition by checking there are no bare wires or signs of scorch marks
- Avoid overloading your sockets with electrical equipment
- Keep lights away from tinsel, paper or other decorations
- Ensure that all lights are turned off before you go to bed, and that any candles are safely put out
- Fire doors shouldn’t be used to hang decorations off. Keeping them clear and without any hooks or screw fitted will make sure they work properly if a fire did happen
- If your home is in a scheme and there are communal areas, please contact your independent living officer if you’d like to put decorations up in the communal lounge.
General fire safety
- Please check your smoke detectors on a regular basis, this is especially important at Christmas as there are generally more combustible items in your home
- Make sure you are aware of the actions to take in the event of a fire within your home, and within any communal areas if applicable. This will be detailed on the fire action notices throughout the communal areas if applicable
- If you have any concerns about fire safety or how you’d evacuate please contact your independent living officer or housing officer.
Visit our Cost of Living page to access a host of useful resources and support.Back to latest news listings