A shared owner

You have purchased a share in your property and pay rent on the remaining share.

Key responsibilities

A leaseholder

You have purchased a lease which is a legal agreement telling you how long you will own the property. Most flats are leasehold.

Further information

A freeholder

Your own your property outright including the land it is built on. We provide services which are paid for through your service charge.

Key responsibilities

Shared ownership responsibilities

Please refer to your agreement for more details.

  • Insurance (buildings and contents)

    You are responsible for putting your own contents insurance in place.

    We are responsible for arranging buildings insurance and will charge you a fee for the cost of this through your service charge.

    Your buildings insurance covers the structure of your home including:

    • Walls
    • Roofs
    • Communal areas

    This insurance protects these parts of your home against damage caused by:

    • Fire
    • Flooding
    • Criminal damage
    • Subsidence

    Your buildings insurance does not cover:

    • Your day to day home repairs and maintenance
    • Deterioration
    • Wear and tear

    If you make a claim you will probably be asked to pay an excess charge. The home ownership team can tell you how to make a claim.

  • Rent and service charges

    Paying your rent and service charges. Your service charges pays for things like maintaining door entry systems, cleaning shared areas, grounds maintenance and buildings insurance.


    If you are a shared owner you will pay rent on the part of your home that we own. This does not cover the cost of any services. Please remember that your rent will be reviewed on an annual basis.

    Ground Rent

    If you are a shared owner in a flat you may have to pay ground rent. Ground rent is the rent charged for the piece of land that your home is built on. It is usually a small amount and details of the cost and how often it is paid are set out in your lease.

    Service Charges

    Service charges are payments made to us for the services and maintenance. Service charges will differ from one area to another and will depend on the type of home and the terms of your lease.

    For more information, please visit our service charges page.

  • Repairs to your home

    Carrying out any repairs to your home. New properties have a set time period within which the housing developer must fix defects – this varies but is usually 12 months. The 12 months start from when the builder hands over the property to us, not from when you move in. After this all repairs are your responsibility as a home owner. If you want to make improvements to your home you will need permission from us first.

  • Subletting

    Shared owners are not normally able to sublet their home. Please see your agreement for more details.

  • Major works

    What are major works?

    ‘Major works’ is the terms we use to describe large-scale building projects that are carried out to keep your property in good condition. The works are carried out as part of an on-going maintenance programme.

    These major works projects are planned in advance and include things like:

    • Maintaining the structure of the building, external walls and roofs.
    • Maintaining and upgrading items within the building for example lifts, door entry system and fire alarms.
    • Maintaining the decoration of the building, for example painting the communal and external areas.

    Occasionally major work is necessary in an emergency such as repairing a roof leak. 

    How are major works paid for?

    Your lease will provide information about this. There may be a sinking fund that can be used or the cost may be invoiced to leaseholders when the works are completed. If you are concerned about meeting the cost of major works to your property you should discuss this with the home ownership team.

    Major works vary in cost, but we will always make sure you know how much is being spent. If any leaseholder will need to contribute more than £250 (or £100 per year for a long term contract for a service such as grounds maintenance) we are required by law to start a consultation process with all leaseholders which is known as a ‘Section 20’ consultation. This is drawn from the landlord & Tenant Act 1985 and because the Act stipulates the procedure the language we use in the communications can often seem very formal and legal.


  • Section 20 consultation

    What is the Section 20 Consultation Process?

    • We must serve you with a ‘Notice of Intention’ which describes the planned works we want to carry out or the service contract we want to set up. We will ask you for your written comments and for your preferences on contractors to carry out the works. You will have 30 days to respond with your comments, questions and nominations.
    • After the first notice we make a record of your comments and ask a range of contractors to send estimates for the works.
    • We must get at least two estimates. If contractors you have nominated are not on our list of preferred suppliers they can still be asked to provide an estimate but they will need to comply with our requirements in order to be successful.
    • We will then send you a ‘Notice of Estimates’. This will give details of the estimates received. We will also send you a summary of the comments we’ve had from leaseholders together with our responses. We will explain where you can view all the estimates we received in more detail and invite you to make comments on them. We will consider all observations and comments received before making the decision of which contractor to appoint.
    • If we choose a contractor who is not the cheapest and was not nominated by leaseholders, we will send you a ‘Notice of Reasons’ explaining why.

    Further information on Section 20

  • Gas servicing

    Having your gas boiler or other gas appliances serviced regularly to make sure they are working safely and efficiently.

  • Telling us if you want to sell your home

    If you want to sell your home, it's important you get in touch with us. Please see details below to get in contact with your local homeownership team. 


Shared Ownership rent review 2017 Questions and Answers

Information about your 2017 Shared Ownership rent review

Freeholder responsibilities

  • Service charges

    As a freeholder, you may pay us service charges because you own your home through Right to Buy or have staircased as a shared owner to own 100% of your property. It will state in your title deeds or leases whether we can charge you.

    We will only recover certain charges from you which tend to be to maintain external, communal areas (such as grounds maintenance, external cleaning, trees, etc).

    Service charges are payments made to us for services and maintenance. Service charges will differ from one area to another and will depend on the type of home and the terms of your lease.

    For more information, please visit our service charges page.

As a home owner your property is managed by our home ownership teams. If you’d like to get in touch please contact the home ownership team for your area by email:

Home ownership Wiltshire

Home ownership Wiltshire

Contact our home ownership team in Wiltshire.

Email me
Home ownership Hampshire

Home ownership Hampshire

Contact our home ownership team in Hampshire.

Email me
Home ownership Dorset

Home ownership Dorset

Contact our home ownership team in Dorset.

Email me
Home ownership Somerset and South West

Home ownership Somerset and South West

Contact our home ownership team in Somerset and the South West.

Email me

Sign up for your online Aster account

Did you know you can pay your rent and service charges online?