Create an Aster account for alerts on homes right for you. You can update and adjust your alerts and ‘favourites’ through your own account as you go and you’ll be the first to get information on homes when they become available.
It’s an ownership thing.
Moving Home Essentials Checklist
Moving into a new property can be both an exciting and hectic time. In the midst of all the action, it’s easy to forget things that you’ll need on the day of the move or the first few days of living in your shiny new home. Whether you’re a first-time buyer or you fancy a change, making sure you have all the essential items at hand will help make for a smooth-sailing move. But with so many questions to think about, from what’s already included in your new home to what additional things you need to buy, we’ve put together the ultimate moving out essentials checklist. With our help you’ll be settled into your new home in no time!
Moving Day Essentials
You’ve sealed the deal and made an offer on your dream home – now it’s time to think about the big move. If you’re panicking a little about moving day – don’t worry, it’s completely normal! It’s a good idea to prepare for the day with some basics that’ll make the transition into your new home as easy as ABC:
- Moving boxes, bubble wrap and parcel tape –if you've already had your big clear out, this part should be a little easier. When you’re packing all your things up, remember to label all the boxes properly. And make sure to write a list so you know exactly what’s inside each box. Doing this means that once you’re in your new home, you won’t have to frantically rummage around when you’re trying to find something.
- Tape measure
- Kettle, milk, sugar, tea and coffee
- Cleaning products, vacuum cleaner and bin bags
- Kitchen roll
- First aid kit
- Light bulbs
- Portable radio – unpacking in your new home can become a long process so a little music will go a long way!
Remember – keep all your important documents at hand, like passports and mortgage paperwork.
Moving into Your New Home
The big day is here and it’s almost time to collect your keys! Once you’ve got completion day out the way and you walk through your new front door, before you start unpacking, you should action the following first:
- Take meter readings and make a note of them to pass them onto the relevant suppliers.
- Check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check that all utilities are up and running.
- If there were items that were supposed to be left as per the contract, make sure that they’re all there.
- Clean the kitchen, including the cupboards and fridge.
- Make sure your homeowner’s insurance policies and other important documents relating to your home are kept somewhere safe.
First Night Essentials
Whilst you’ll be looking forward to putting your feet up at the end of the first night in your new home, you’ll want to do this knowing you’ve not forgotten something important. Just like the fact that there are a few associated costs to think about when buying a house, there are also a few things to think about for the first night in your home.
For a dreamy and comfortable first night, don’t forget these new house essentials:
- Duvet, bedding and pillows
- Shower essentials like shampoo, conditioner, body wash and towels
- Toilet roll
- Phone chargers
- Hot water bottle (if the heating isn’t switched on)
What’s better than a brand-new home? A squeaky clean one! It’s likely that your new home will get a little dusty after all your boxes have been moved in. Here are the basic cleaning products you’ll need to make your home sparkle:
- Cloths, sponges and scrubbers
- Feather duster
- Mop and bucket
- Dustpan and brush
- Kitchen and bathroom bleach spray
- Vacuum cleaner
- Laundry detergent and fabric softener
- Air freshener
Face it – your kitchen is going to need a lot of stuff. It’s probably going to be one of the biggest rooms you’ll need to get set up in your new home. Here’s a little kitchen essentials checklist to get you started:
- Pots and pans
- Mugs, cups and glasses
- Bin bags
- Kitchen roll
- Tea towels
- Sponges and cloths
- Washing up liquid
- Bin bags
- Baking trays
- Tin openers
- Bottle openers
- Oven gloves
Some tea bags, a carton of milk and a loaf of bread wouldn’t go amiss either!
Essentials for Moving with Children
Couldn’t get a hold of a babysitter in time? Don’t panic! If you don’t manage to sort any childcare out before the big move, there are ways to keep the little ones entertained whilst moving into your new home.
- Card games
- Colouring books
- Reading books
- iPad or tablet
- Soft toys for comfort
- Baby changing supplies (for the teeny tinies)
- Activity books
Thought about buying more shares of your home yet? Once you’ve had a chance to settle in, you may want to consider this. If it’s a Shared Ownership property, dip your toes into the wonderful world of ‘staircasing’ and if you decide you wish to buy more of your property, we can help with this! Sounds too good to be true? That’s the best part – it’s not!
Whilst there are of course other things you’ll need for your new home; those can be collected over time. For now, it’s important to make sure you have the absolute basics to begin with – don’t go overboard and buy too many things before the big day! You may end up wasting money on things that don’t quite suit your new home. With our essentials for moving house checklist, you’ll be prepared for anything and everything! But more importantly, don’t forget the ultimate essential – a bottle of bubbly (or glass of lemonade if you prefer!) to celebrate with once you finally open the doors to your new home!
If you’re thinking about selling your Shared Ownership home, you’ve come to the right place! At Aster, we’ll be with you every step of the way, from the initial enquiry to the final sale. Speak to our Resale team for more information.